Preservation of Affordable Housing (POAH) is a nonprofit developer, owner and operator of nearly 9,000 affordable homes in 9 states and the District of Columbia.
POAH’s primary mission is to preserve, create and sustain affordable, healthy homes that support economic security and access to opportunity for all.
Watch 5 minute video about our history and mission video
Since 2001, the POAH team has advanced its mission with a blend of expertise and creativity, solving complex problems that others have seen as insurmountable. We have secured long-term affordability for residents while addressing the interests of owners, funders, public agencies, and other stakeholders.
Values: These core values support and inform the pursuit of our mission:
- Service: We serve a broad range of people, but our focus is on low- and moderate-income households who may not have access to decent, safe and healthy housing.
- Opportunity: We know that many of our residents need more than just stable housing to succeed and we seek to improve their access to opportunity.
- Citizenship: Our properties contribute to the health of their surrounding communities.
- Partnership: We believe in the value of partnership with residents, neighbors, development partners, public agencies, funders and other stakeholders.
- Stewardship: We are long-term owners and operators of our communities, and so we insist that they be financially, physically and environmentally sustainable over a long time horizon.
- Sustainability: We invest in energy efficient and environmentally sustainable buildings not only to reduce operating costs, but because it’s the responsible thing to do.
- Advocacy: We bring the lessons of extensive experience to inform and improve public policy.
- Performance: We value property financial performance because it allows us to enhance our impact in our communities and advance our mission into new communities.
- Teamwork: We are committed to a culture of collaboration, inclusion, and hard work, and we promote opportunities for professional growth.
- Diversity: We believe a diverse team is a stronger, smarter team, and we actively promote diversity among our staff, our partners, and at our communities.
- Accountability: We live up to our commitments, consistently conducting our business according to the highest standards of integrity and professional excellence.
- Innovation: We develop and execute creative solutions to problems others may see as insurmountable.
- Impact: We systematically measure our impact across multiple realms, using data to improve performance and enhance our impact.
Here’s what we focus on:
- We Preserve Affordability. POAH is committed to preserving at-risk affordable housing as an asset for today’s residents and for future generations.
- We Build for the Future. POAH builds and renovates for long-term sustainability – both environmental and financial.
- We Bring Creative Solutions. POAH gets the deal done by applying expertise and creativity to overcome challenges and deliver value for all stakeholders.
- We Foster Community. POAH operates healthy communities of choice and has helped to revitalize entire neighborhoods.
- We Invest in Our Residents. POAH provides amenities and services to promote resident success and economic security.
Read POAH's Strategic Plan 2017-2021
View the POAH Brochure
View the POAH Chicago Revitalization Brochure